Discover more from Voice for Science and Solidarity by Geert Vanden Bossche
VSS Scientific Updates During Pandemic Times #50
1. Are Vaccines Fueling New Covid Variants?
“The virus appears to be evolving in ways that evade immunity.”
2. CDC Reports a New Strain of Omicron Taking Over in the U.S.
“About 40% of confirmed U.S. Covid cases are caused by the XBB.1.5 strain, up from 20% a week ago.”
3. Chinese State Media Seek to Reassure Public Over Covid-19
“The accumulated official death toll in China now stands at 5,249, far lower than in other large countries. The government has rejected claims that it has deliberately underreported the total number of fatalities.”
4. Deaths of Thousands of Wild Birds from Avian Flu is ‘New Silent Spring’
“Expert warns impact of H5N1 virus across the world is on a scale akin to the devastation wreaked by the use of DDT pesticides in the 1950s and 1960s.”
5. New XBB.1.5 COVID Variant 'Most Transmissible' Yet Detected
“The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed the XXB.1.5 COVID variant has been detected in 25 countries so far.”
6. Free Spike Proteins in the Blood Appear to Play a Role in Myocarditis Post-COVID mRNA Vaccine
“Immunoprofiling of vaccinated adolescents and young adults revealed that the mRNA vaccine–induced immune responses did not differ between individuals who developed myocarditis and individuals who did not. However, free spike antigen was detected in the blood of adolescents and young adults who developed post-mRNA vaccine myocarditis, advancing insight into its potential underlying cause.”